Parking at SUNY Oswego is managed by the Parking Office located on Route 104 at New Street just east of the main entrance to campus. Visitor Parking Permits can be obtained from the Parking Office.

See the SUNY Oswego Parking Rules and Regulations for further information. You can download the current parking lot map and printed copies of the parking map and regulations are available at the Parking Office. The Parking Office is open from 7:30 am until 4 pm, Mondays through Fridays.

Handicapped parking is reserved throughout the campus in numbered lots. SUNY Oswego parking permits are required in addition to state-issued handicapped tags and plates. Call the University Police Parking Division at 312.3227 for additional information.

Anyone with a valid handicapped permit may park in any numbered lot in addition to designated handicapped parking. The parking division's staff will assist with referral information regarding the process to obtain a New York State handicapped hang tag/plate. Students and employees with short-term mobility issues should call the Parking Office at 312-3227 so that they may assist you with locating proximate parking.

Work-required travel

Faculty and staff members who travel on state business must comply with all college and state travel policies and regulations to receive appropriate reimbursement. Required travel procedures are on the web. Questions concerning travel procedures should be directed to the appropriate chair, dean, supervisor, or the college's Travel Office in 401 Culkin Hall (312.2223).

Basic instructional services

The following policy has been established to govern the use of campus facilities by professional staff, students and outside groups.

Academic facilities reservations: The use of all academic facilities (classrooms, lecture halls, and auditoriums), except Laker Hall, are made through the Registrar's Office, Room 301 of Culkin Hall. All academic classroom usage must be approved by the Registrar's Office before making any room changes.

Academic facilities include Mahar, Wilber, Park, Lee, Piez, Shineman, Swetman, Lanigan and Tyler (except the theater) halls and some spaces in the Marano Campus Center. Laker Hall reservations are made through the Office of Intercollegiate Athletics.

Generally, most academic buildings are open Mondays through Fridays, 7 am to 11 pm, and Saturday by prior arrangement. All activities should end one-half hour before the closing hour of the building to facilitate clearing and securing of the building.

Reservations for other campus facilities: Reservations for use of other campus facilities are made as follows:

  • Marano Campus Center: Events Management Office, 121 Marano Campus Center 315.312.2301
  • Culkin Hall: Conference rooms, contact the Assistant to the President, Room 708 of Culkin Hall, at 315.312.2211.
  • Dining Hall: College Food Service Office in the Commissary
  • Tyler Hall Lab Theatre: Theater Department, Tyler Hall
  • Waterman Theatre, Theater Department, Tyler Hall
  • Phoenix Education Center, Phoenix, NY 315.312.6430
  • Oswego Metro Center, Syracuse NY 315.399.4100

Special rules and regulations for use of college facilities by students or off-campus organizations are cited in Appendix B of this handbook.


Faculty members should direct all requests for keys to office doors, desks or files to their department chair. Duplicates of keys to offices and files, except for the master key, should be on file with the maintenance department. Requests for duplicate keys are made by department chairs to the plant superintendent's office. Keys are to be returned to the department at the end of the college year unless the faculty member has a summer session contract.

If faculty members are unable to contact their chair, they may turn in the keys to the University Police Department in Pathfinder Hall.


Faculty are requested to check with their department chair relative to mail collection and delivery schedules.

Personal mail should be sent to the home address, not in care of the college.


Voicemail messages can be retrieved from any touchtone phone in the world. For instructions, see this link.

Marano Campus Center

Marano Campus Center provides recreational, social and cultural activities for the campus. Facilities for campus organizations in the Marano Campus Center include permanent office space for student government (Student Association), the campus newspaper (Oswegonian), campus literary magazine (Great Laker Review), college yearbook (Ontarian), radio station (WNYO), TV station (WTOP) and the Student Association Programming Board. The Marano Campus Center arena is home to one of the finest collegiate hockey rinks in the world. Dining Services operates a number of vendor locations throughout the center.

Postage stamps can be purchased at the SUNY Oswego Box Office. Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) are located on the upper concourse of the Marano Campus Center.

SUNY Oswego Box Office, located on the main concourse of the Marano Campus Center, is run by the Student Association. It serves all SA organizations and many regional events.

The Off Campus Association is funded by Student Association and maintains lists of area rental units.

Hewitt Union

Some key operations are located in Hewitt, including two College Stores -- Artville and Bookland on the main level of Hewitt. Artville offers art, computer and school supplies, laptop program, café and copy center while Bookland offers both new and used discounted textbooks and course materials. Should you have questions about our products and services, call 312.2261 for Artville and 312.2260 for Bookland.

For our campus to be compliant with Higher Education Opportunity Program laws, book information should be submitted as soon as possible, ideally in time for registration so students are aware of all costs connected with a course. Failing that, as soon as a text is chosen, please notify the College Store. This helps to contain costs for students, as the College Store will discount titles providing there is enough time to research other prices for the title. The staff can help with any questions regarding course materials. In addition, the staff also can help put together course packs. Faculty and staff can stop by, call 312.2261 or 312.2898 (voicemail), or email

The College Cut: The College Cut in Hewitt provides hair services to students and staff. Stop by or make an appointment at 312.5547.

Dining Services

Private dining rooms: Private dining rooms may be reserved for luncheon meetings, with menus selected from that day's restaurant menu or a predetermined special menu. All arrangements for these meetings are initiated with the Catering Reservations Office by calling 312.2992.

Other food services: Any college organization desiring food service for such events as coffee hours, receptions, dinners, banquets, picnics or any other catered functions can make these requests through the Dining Service Catering Department, which handles all catering on or off campus, by calling 312.2992.

Student Association

The student government offices are located in the Point of the Marano Campus Center. The SA student services plaza located in the lobby provides a Ticketmaster outlet, check cashing, photocopying and postage stamps. For additional information, call 312.3601.

Service Learning and Community Services

The Center for Service Learning and Community Services in the Marano Campus Center coordinates a wide variety of student volunteer experiences. The student staff coordinates and places students in the Adopt-A-Grandparent and Big Brother/ Big Sister Programs. The center also serves as a clearinghouse which refers students to a wide variety of volunteer service programs in operation in the community as well as around North America. For information, call 312.5368.

Residence dining halls

Cooper, Lakeside, Littlepage, Mackin and Pathfinder dining halls are open to faculty and visitors on a casual meal-rate basis. Visitors purchase a meal choosing from a variety of entrees. Salad bars are featured at lunch and dinner and additional portions are available at no extra charge.

Guest rooms

A limited number of guest rooms is available in residence halls and in Sheldon Hall for guests of the college. Residence hall rooms may not be available during the periods of academic recess and are limited during the summer months. Sheldon Hall guest rooms are strictly limited to guests of the college including lecturers, candidates for employment or New York State employees on state business. They are furnished with double or queen-sized beds, cable television, clock radio, coffeemakers, refrigerators and personal bathrooms, similar to commercial hotels and at comparable rates.   Information and reservation details are available by contacting the Residence Life and Housing Office at 312.2246.

Credit union

The Compass Federal Credit Union has been serving the campus community since 1973. The credit union offers low-cost loans to members for new and pre-owned automobiles, vacations and home improvements. The credit union also offers saving accounts, holiday club accounts, vacation club accounts, checking accounts, debit cards and overdraft lines of credit.  Money orders and travelers checks are available at the credit union. Members may sign up for direct deposit of payroll, social security and retirement benefits into their checking account. Also available are check-cashing privileges and payment of monthly utility bills, insurance or mortgage. For more information, visit their website.

Requisitions, supplies and maintenance

All purchasing functions must be centralized in the Purchasing Office to ensure compliance with the state's rules and regulations governing purchasing; to ensure cost controls in obtaining reasonable prices; to maintain and follow internal control procedures over the issuance, approval, and maintenance of purchase orders; and to maintain efficient operating procedures.

The purchasing agent is authorized to do the purchasing for SUNY Oswego in accordance with the rules and regulations issued by the Office of the State Comptroller, Division of Audit and Control and the Office of General Services.

No purchase orders for supplies, materials, equipment and/or services are to be placed except by the purchasing agent. Initiating purchase requisitions, developing specifications and judging quality of materials, equipment or services received must be done, in many instances, by the department chair or the ultimate end-user of the material, equipment or service.

The type of service rendered to the agency by the Purchasing Department will depend largely upon the cooperation received from the department requesting the service. Individual departments must make their needs known to the Purchasing Department with purchase requisition forms available from the department secretaries or from the Purchasing Department.

The requisition should give the Purchasing Department complete and accurate information for the material, equipment, supplies or services that the department requires. Sufficient time should be allowed in the purchasing procedure to accommodate the funding of the requisition, acquisition of current costs, mailing of the purchase order and estimated delivery time.

Copies of the purchasing procedures manual have been distributed to department chairs and department secretaries. For additional copies of the Purchasing Procedures, Departmental Requirements, please contact the Purchasing Department at 312.2224.

State funds may not be expended for items that are for personal use, or for the purchase of food products such as coffee, tea, doughnuts, faculty luncheons, dinners, candy, etc.

Confirming orders: State procurement procedures make it clear that only a few designated people at the campus level have the authority to obligate the state to an expense.

Campus personnel (both faculty and staff) are not authorized to obligate the college/state to an expense. Confirming requisitions will not be accepted unless authorization has first been obtained from the campus purchasing agent, campus President, Vice Presidents, Provost or Director of Finance and Budget before the transaction transpires.

Return of merchandise: Do not return any merchandise for credit, exchange, repairs, modifications or for any other reason until the Purchasing Department has been notified and the necessary shipping order has been prepared.

Procurement card - overview

The American Express Corporate Purchasing Card offers SUNY campuses an alternative procurement method when making small dollar purchases. The program as implemented at SUNY is known as the procurement card. The program is intended to afford SUNY campuses the opportunity to streamline their local procedures and controls for procuring goods and services.

Purchasing associates administer the campus program. Proper use of the procurement card can reduce the time between requesting, ordering and actual receipt of goods and services.

Additionally, the procurement card program reduces the volume of accounts payable transactions and the associated administrative costs by eliminating supplier invoices and consolidating multiple supplier payments into one monthly voucher payment to the Office of the State Comptroller. Operation of the SUNY program follows the basic New York State Procurement Card SUNY Guidelines as established by the Office of General Services.

New York State is liable for authorized charges made using the card. Procurement cards may be used for "official" SUNY purchases only. Use of the card for personal items, cash advances and business travel expenses is not permitted. Spending authority is overseen by the purchasing associate and approved by the Vice President of Administration and Finance.

Use of the procurement card is typically limited to items or transactions totaling $500 or less (excluding freight). All shipments are to be delivered to a designated cardholder. Procurement cards will be issued to individuals who are given the appropriate purchasing authority. The cards are issued with the name of the cardholder and SUNY Oswego embossed on the card. Cardholders must sign an employee agreement form before obtaining the procurement card. Training will be provided for all persons receiving a procurement card. This training will cover the use of the procurement card consistent with New York State policy as well as SUNY campus purchasing practices. Training must he completed before issuance of the card.

For more information regarding the SUNY procurement card, contact a purchasing associate at 312.2224.

Equipment inventory control/property control

Equipment purchased by departments (regardless of funding source) is owned by the State of New York and is on permanent loan to this college. Although funds are allocated to departments for the purchase of equipment, the ownership of the equipment purchased remains with the state. This also includes gifts and free goods donated to the college. The State of New York requires all state agencies to maintain a property control system.

The property control system has been designed to provide accurate inventory of SUNY-owned equipment. When properly maintained, this system should show the net worth of all equipment located at this campus. Each agency is accountable to System Administration for maintaining the properly control system at the campus level and accomplishing all necessary procedures to perpetuate the system. Equipment includes items such as, but not limited to machinery, vehicles, laboratory equipment, office equipment, furniture, etc., which may be used repeatedly without impairment of physical condition, with a probable life of two years.

To comply with audit mandates and to assist the campus inventory control coordinator with re-inventory, surplus equipment and the circulation of information regarding inventory procedures, each department has been requested to identify one individual to act as department equipment coordinator. It is the individual department's responsibility to notify the campus inventory control coordinator of equipment changes within the department. It is expected that those individuals using the equipment will be responsible custodians. Equipment is to be used for college business only. It is the responsibility of the individual departments to assist the campus inventory control coordinator in conducting an annual equipment inventory by providing assistance in sensitive areas, providing access to locked or normally inaccessible department areas, to help locate all equipment assigned to a department, and to help determine the condition and utilization of equipment.

It is the department's responsibility to notify the campus inventory control coordinator of unusable/non-used equipment/equipment that may be surplus to the department's needs. Because equipment is state-owned (not department-owned) it may be assigned or reassigned where needed if this action would serve the best interest of the college. Equipment, no matter what the condition (non-working, broken, cannibalized, obsolete, etc.), cannot be discarded unless proper procedures are followed.

Equipment, no matter what condition it is in, must be cleared through the campus inventory control coordinator and put into storage/surplus and/or disposed of in accordance with the Property Control System rules and regulations. For a copy of the Equipment Inventory Control Policies and Procedure-Departmental Issue, contact the campus inventory control coordinator, Room 402 Culkin Hall, or call 312.2228.

The President of the college has authority to assign, reassign or confiscate college equipment within the guidelines established by the Bureau of the Budget and the State Comptroller if, in the President's opinion, this action would serve the best interests of the college.

Custodial work

Custodians are expected to clean offices, empty wastebaskets and maintain the floors of all buildings, with the exception of certain laboratory areas. Normally, custodians are assigned a certain workload in each building. Reasonable requests for additional items of custodial service should be sent to the head janitor. In case of neglect, complaints should be made to the head janitor in charge of the area. Problems that are more serious should be reported to the head janitor also. Recycling is now an additional custodial function; however, each employee will be responsible to bring recyclable items from their workstation to a central point in the building.


The Maintenance Department is responsible for maintaining the condition of the buildings, as well as maintaining adequate performance of all utilities. Requests for needed repair work should be made by written work order to the Maintenance Operations Center. Emergencies should be reported to the maintenance dispatcher by telephone. There is limited time and money available for minor additions and modifications. Requests for this type of work should be initiated by memorandum to the academic department chair, a copy sent to the director of physical plant.

This work will be prioritized on an academic need basis in keeping with the demand of the ongoing maintenance programs. Modifications and new construction must be completely funded by the department making the request and are subject to review for applicable codes governing tire safety, building design and handicapped accessibility.

Work orders: Work orders are prepared online via the iService Desk. These are equests for routine work, repairs or painting. 

Work orders that are not approved by the department chair will be returned. Work orders should not encompass erection or removal of partitions, or other modification of building spaces. If these services are required, the project will have to be cleared through the academic supervisor or department chair and then forwarded to the plant superintendent. All other work orders should be sent to the Maintenance Operation Center.

Publications Department

The Publications Department offers printing services for the college community. The department can help with planning printing needs from concept and design through pre-press set-up, printing and college distribution. The department produces one-color brochures, postcards, newsletters, posters, booklets, flyers, notices, business cards and a variety of other publications. Estimates for in-house printing are available. Find online details or contact the department at 312.3130 or The department is located in Building #20 on Sheldon Avenue. Copies of the college logo and the current Graphic Identity Guide are available online. This guide defines accepted usage of the college logo in a variety of media.